Friday, March 26, 2010

Religion?


What is religion? For me, it is something that people have created so that they could be divided, or to cause unlimited conflicts. In Lebanon, I really don't understand why some people are still so closed minded and classify one another because of religion. I just can't understand why there is so much hate between people sharing the same nation. How can we progress and live in peace when we still ask about our neighbor's beliefs?

This issue is affecting me so much lately, when at some point I thought that we lived in a beautiful world. I can't believe that under one roof there can still be many issues starting from religion. I heard my parents whispering "oh does Samira have friends from another religion? etc..." And that literally broke my heart because they're being very judgmental.

I sometimes forget to ask my friends about their religious views, maybe because I just care about them as people and not as what or where they belong to. But there is one thing for sure, I prefer being around people that consider themselves as "citizens of the world" which has no boundaries and where only love and respect exist.

I really hope that I will still be alive when Lebanese people stop classifying each other and concentrate on solidarity. Despite all this, I'm glad that I keep meeting people that think the same way, which means that the mentality change is already taking place.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one" - John Lennon.

2 comments:

  1. "I hope some day you'll join us, and the world will live as one." x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate hate hate the religious mentality here! My dad plays this little guessing game: so his/her last name is.. so that means he/she is from here.. which means he's/she's THIS! WHO CARES!?!

    ReplyDelete